Healthcare Professionals

One of the first steps in managing MS is to know your essential healthcare providers and what their roles are. The following healthcare professionals are commonly involved in the treatment and support of people with MS.

Your GP

Your GP is your main health care provider, so do your best to locate a GP with an interest in MS. It’s important to communicate your worries and symptoms as clearly as possible so you can get appropriate assistance. Your GP will be able to refer you to a neurologist or other specialists.

Your Neurologist

A Neurologist is a specialist physician specialising in diseases of the nervous system and is usually the clinician who will make the definitive diagnosis of MS.  Neurologist’s work either in private practice, from public hospitals, or both.  Initially your GP will refer you to a Neurologist for further examination and assessment.  You can choose to see a Neurologist privately and pay for this service yourself, or be referred to one as an outpatient at a public hospital.

Your Neurologist is responsible for prescribing any of the disease modifying drugs as a treatment for your MS and if you qualify to receive them, making arrangements to receive them fully subsidised.

Your Field Worker

Taranaki MS Society has a qualified and experienced Field Worker who can provide support, advice and referrals to people with MS and their families on a range of issues affecting the home, work and social environments.

Other Sources of Support

  • Physiotherapist
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Speech and Language Therapist
  • Dietician
  • Urologist
  • Psychologist
  • Community Driving Assessor
  • Access Ability (under 65’s) for Home Needs Assessment
  • Taranaki District Health Board (over 65’s) for Home Needs Assessment

If you require any further information on the above services you can ask your local Field Officer or request a referral from your GP.

Click here to return to Managing MS